4.23.2008

my kiddos

I think that I have the cutest 5 & 6 year olds in my classroom this year. I wish I could show you pictures of them (I catch them doing the funniest things!) but, they are not my kids, and I wouldn't want someone putting pictures of my kid on the internet without my permission...so I had to come up with some other way of showing off their cuteness. So, I decided to give you some examples of their writing. They wrote these stories on their own, and what you gotta know is at the beginning of the year, except for Alex and Priscilla, they did not know how to write their names or the letters of the alphabet, much less know how to write a story! You might see some other random stories posted in future blogs! (click on the picture to get a better view!)
"At home I ate cereal with pieces of strawberry and bananas. It tasted good. My dad ate some, too." What I love about this story is that Alex tried using speech bubbles - something I have never taught! And the words coming out of the speech bubbles are backwards - just like they would if they actually came out of the mouths! "Yous can't eat that." "ok." "I want to eat it" "You can eat." "I agree with Luis."


"When I was sick my mom called my aunt. She took me to get ice cream. It was delicious! Yum!" First of all, Samantha used a "story starter" instead of the typical "I __". She also did a great job using the word delicious (and stretching that word out) and look at the wonderful usage of a punctuation mark!


"I saw a cockroach. It was dead. Mrs. Gibson picked it up and threw it in the trash." True story - except that I used a rake to sweep it outside (the rake was in my room from cleaning the memorial garden). I don't touch the cockroaches in our room - and these aren't your little german cockroaches. No, no, they are the large american cockroaches! Man, I love our old school building!!! :)
This is Priscila's story about voting that she wrote yesterday (PA's primary). Honestly, in my 6 years of teaching kindergarten, she is the first student I have had that has had any inkling about election process! I was totally taken aback as I have not mentioned anything about the elections! This is what it says: "Today is voting day and I am going to be happy. Voting day is to vote for the president of the United (sat of the maricu "states of the America" - written on the back). Her picture is of the voting booths with flags on top of each one! I had to show the story to my colleagues, who gave her the stickers!

Until next time...

1 comment:

krista said...

Wow! A kindergardner excited about the primaries!

Love their artwork! It's amazing to see what they come up with, isn't it?