I have been trying really hard to be more-or-less upbeat in this blog, but after a measly 2 weeks, I have to post my first "blah" blog (thanks, Susan, for giving me the great title! You're the best 4th grade teacher!!!) :)
Today is a very blah day. After more than a week of beautiful sunshiney warm days, we fell back into the 60s and it has been raining ALL day. And it's a Monday. And there are 30 days left of school. And the kids couldn't go outside for recess. If you are a teacher, you know exactly what all of that means!
I have no idea how many people out there are reading this, but if you are a teacher, I would love to know your thoughts on education. And how your school handles substitutes. Especially if you work in an urban area. It seems that once April hits, the subs all decide they aren't working anymore (or maybe more teachers are out from "desirable" districts). The substitutes that we do get are the bottom of the sub pool. I am not trying to be mean, but c'mon, sitting behind my desk reading all afternoon while my assistant who is only paid $10/hr. and is not certified runs the classroom and you collect the $120 for the day is NOT substitute teaching. I do not spend at least 2 hours writing detailed plans, trying to come up with something that is relatively easy, for the sub to decide not to follow the plans and get the kids ready to go home 45 min. before the bell rings. And is it too much to expect the substitute to NOT go through my desk drawers and to put the classroom in order before she leaves (or get the kids to help put it back in order)? *
So, the majority of the time, the substitutes that my school gets leave something to be desired, but if we don't get a sub for a classroom, that class gets split up between classes! Today, I had 2 first-graders for the entire day, a fifth-grader for the morning, and another first-grader for the morning. For the last month, I have had extra students in my room more times than I can count. The first two weeks, I had extra 3-5 graders (while the rest of their class took the state standardized tests) and the last week or so, an extra first-grader (while the rest of his class took the 1st grade standardized test). Therefore, between the barrage of tests our poor kids have to take (I'll leave that subject for another "blah blog") and teachers being out (and these aren't personal days, people), it has been a crazy month!
Honestly, I am trying to be understanding, cooperative, flexible, etc., but it seems like it is getting out of hand and there HAS to be a better solution!!!! These extra kids aren't huge behavior problems, but they are extra bodies (I feel so bad for the 5th graders stuck in our little chairs) and they are a distraction just because they are there!
And there are just some other annoyances that have built up, and today it just seemed like they became the proverbial straw...
It's been a blah day. Thanks for listening.
*the situations described have either happened to me or to colleagues
making the best
8 years ago
1 comment:
Amen Sister!!!! Today wasn't so bad.....Friday is around the corner and that could be scary!
Don't forget...you are the BEST kindergarten teacher!!!
from the BEST 4th grade teacher!!!
Post a Comment