12.01.2009

50 Book Challenge - Year 2

Well, I had high hopes for the challenge this year. It took me 14 months to read 50 books...and I really wanted to do it in 12. However, life changes, so I don't know if it will happen. But here is what I have so far (in no particular order)!

1. A Bride Most Begrudging - Deeanne Gist; set in colonial Virginia, Christian novel, decent book for the $1 it cost me

2. Left to Tell - Immaculee Ilibagiza; memoir of Rwandan Holocaust survivor, amazing story, can't believe I missed her speaking at F&M.

3. Farewell My Ovaries - Wendy Harmer; novel set in Sydney, made me not want to go into menopause; ironically, I do not think I knew I was pregnant when I read this

4. Barefoot - Elin Hilderbrand; great novel about 3 women, kept me wondering how it was going to end, realistic ending

5. Sexual Intimacy in Marriage - Dr. William Cutrer, Sandra Glahn; good book on the topic from a Christian viewpoint, helpful now, would also recommend to engaged couples

6. Belly Laughs - Jenny McCarthy; actress's thoughts on pregancy, no holds-barred (and pre-activist days)

7. Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay - Stefanie Wilder-Taylor; similar in style to McCarthy's book, but much funnier and realistic (i.e., not an actress), her thoughts on pregnancy

8. Naptime is the New Happy Hour - Stefanie Wilder-Taylor; sequel to previous book, thoughts on parenthood (waiting for a possible third book)

9. I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids - Trisha Ashworth, Amy Nobile; while not yet a parent, there were some really good thoughts in this book, in fact, I'm not returning this one to Courtney quite yet!

10. The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy - Vicki Iovine (1995 edition); the first baby book I read - even read most of it to Mike - and definitely the book that got me through the first couple of months, will recommend the new edition to friends

11. Alphabet Weekends - Elizabeth Noble; good chick lit about 2 friends (one who wants it to be more than just friends) who spend 26 weekends doing an activity for each letter of the alphabet

12. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer; do I really need to explain this one?

13. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer; or this one? (I will say, that I agree with those who criticize her writing - Rowling is definitely the better writer, no contest. But, there is enough of a storyline/hook to keep me interested.)

Hmm. 13 books since July. While not great, I did better than I thought! And, look, Michelle, only 1 chick lit on the list!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Ok..you read Twilight and New Moon since Linda and Tony's...you are hooked! hahahaha

krista said...

Just added LEFT TO TELL and BAREFOOT to my "to read" list.

If you haven't read THE KITE RUNNER or A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS, you simply must! Especially the latter. :o)

Alicia said...

LOVE I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids!!! I also have their newer book...I'd Trade My Husband For a Housekeeper...it's a great book about keeping your relationship with your spouse strong after having children.