Basically, this will probably be the last post for a little while (unless I squeeze in a real quick one now and then). I am feeling slightly overwhelmed with the load ahead of me, which is probably the main reason why I can't sleep! My very last trimester of grad class has begun, and my research proposal is due April 10. On April 13, I will present said proposal to Shenandoah University in Winchester, VA! Then, barring any catastrophes, graduation will be on Mother's Day! Now, I still have not figured out what my research question will be, so that is causing some angst.
At the same time, I am getting into the nitty-gritty of preparing for the ESL classes at my church that we will start offering on June 2. Thankfully, I have another person helping me to get these started, but it is still a lot of time spent planning and preparing. I am really excited about them and the opportunity to finally put into practice what I have been studying for the past 6 years! (yes, it has taken that long...)
Then there are the continued pressures with my job. January is always a stressful time - end of the semester, our largest assessment load (that is done individually, very time-consuming tasks), etc. Having random walk-thrus like the one I had today do not help. They were coming to see my intervention time (don't even ask as to what that means, especially in kindergarten - sore subject) which I have cancelled for the week for many different reasons, the least of which was that my schedule today was HECTIC and barely normal. I do not feel guilty for not doing what I was "supposed" to be doing, because I feel that I have legitimate reasons; it's more knowing that I will have to hear about it and dialogue about it in the future that is frustrating.
And, I wanted to post some pictures from today, but that isn't going to happen. Basically, I decided that my students also deserved the opportunity to watch the inauguration today, even if plans had not been made to include them (or anyone from k-2, for that matter) in the large viewing areas. So, we hoped for the best in the streaming video (THANK YOU, I.T. DEPT!), and it went well. The kids were very excited and it was quite interesting to listen to their comments -they even discussed the class election we had in Oct! The ceremony took place over our recess/lunch time. I turned it on, told the kids they could play the indoor recess games or watch, and over half of them chose to watch! They especially liked watching for shots of the Obama girls; "the big one and the little one" as one student put it. Then, we brought up their lunches from the cafeteria, ate on the carpet, and watched Barack Obama become our 44th President. It was impressive that they sat so quietly, like they understood the solemnity of the event, without any reminders from me. Granted, they did start to lose interest towards the end of Obama's speech, but overall, I thought they did very well. Even if you didn't vote for Obama, you have to admit that history was made today!
Some final tidbits:
- My nose: still a bit painful to touch/move, but definitely much better. I can now safely blow my nose which is very helpful and I can feel a definite improvement in the way I breathe. Still too soon to say if it was successful in limiting the sinus infections, though. I had my final post-op visit on Mon. and all is good. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! Mike is now scheduled to have the same surgery on Feb. 20, so you can pray for both of us then, too! :)
- Selling of second-hand items: My previous post dealt with the legislation that will affect second-hand and thrift stores. Courtney has sent me an update, so go here to find out more details.
- 50 Book Challenge Update: Knowing that I probably won't read a book for enjoyment for quite some time, I decided to read what I could the past couple of weeks. Of course, knowing that I wanted to make the best use of my time, I read my favorite genre, chick lit. This past weekend, my sister and I had another heated discussion about the inclusion of these books and we were unable to come to a clear consensus. Basically, it's my list, I will put on it what I want. Maybe next year (after there is NO MORE GRAD WORK!!) I will read what she deems as "real" books where I "learn something." :)
34. Reconstructing Brigid - Lee Nichols
35. Nothing But the Truth (and a Few White Lies) - Justina Chen Headley; not chick lit, but YA. Very good book about a high school girl who is coming to terms with being half-White, half-Taiwanese
36. Do Not Disturb - Tilly Bagshawe
37. Stupid and Contagious - Caprice Crane; HILARIOUS and it made me think of my sisters the entire time I was reading it. Speaking of which, I let the aforementioned chick-lit bashing sister borrow it because she was laughing at the excerpts I read to her (I hope you don't mind, Courtney)
38. Every Boy's Got One - Meg Cabot
39. Bachelor Boys - Kate Saunders; not really chick lit, but definitely a tear-jerker and a good read.
Oh dear, 11 more to go. I wonder if I can make it!!!!
I think that this post is long enough. Now maybe I can go to sleep!!!
Until next time...
7 comments:
Sorry about the inauguration.......
we had nothing to do with the planning! we just repsonded to the e-mail!
I felt a bit defensive against your sister's comment on the chick lit books a while ago since many of those books are the ones I lent to my sister to lend to you. But they are light and their only value is entertainment, but sometimes that is exactly what you need in a book.
Ashley-
EXACTLY!!!!!
That's why people also watch shows on TV where you don't learn anything - for the entertainment value!
And yes, I know most of the books come from you originally, and I feel that you have an intelligent head on your shoulders (shoot, that head isn't going to grow bigger from that compliment is it?) :)
Love you!
"Anonymous"
I know - I didn't blame you. I just made sure I understood the district e-mail correctly and did what I needed to to make it work! :)
I don't think having a large group of kindergartners for the inaug. would have worked anyway. What I did was fine - I just thought it was interesting that the younger grades were summarily dismissed as having any interest in it.
Don't worry, you're still my favorite. :)
You know I love you! I just had to pick on you for that one! Since......I was misnamed by your lovely husband on Friday!!!
I think the 50 book challenge originated from Steve Jobs (I think) and his frustration that people do not read for pleasure anymore. That they are so bogged down w/ jobs and professional literature that pleasure books are becoming obsolete. So any book that is read for pleasure (ie chick lit, YA novels, etc) should count on this list. What should not count is textbooks that are required reading for classes. Now some people do read those for pleasure so IF it is not for classes it may count.
(People who read those books for pleasure may also count The Economist as a frivolous purchase or enjoy spending hours photographing documents in the Smithsonian archives)
After much delay...here is my response in 6 points, give or take.
1. Karla is the fastest reader I know. She can put down a chick lit book faster than I can eat a bowl of cereal.
2. I'm not saying she needs to read nonfiction (though I would be impressed with some historical monograph on the market revolution or progressive era or civil rights movement), just some quality fiction. It doesn't even have to be in old english. Modern english is acceptable.
3. chick lit books can count, just as a fraction of a "real" book.
4. or chick lit books can count as a whole book, but I will have less respect for the accomplishment.
5. Yes, I suppose #4 is my real point. Kudos for reading 50 books, but for Karla, 50 books of chick lit is like a weekend's work, so for me to respect the list, it needs more substance.
6. Yes, apparently I am a snob. Sheesh, I sound like a jerk.
Post a Comment