How exciting! Shortly after midnight last night, as Mike and I were enjoying our "new" couch, the whole building shook and rumbled. At first I thought it was a passing truck, but realized that it was much larger than trucks usually are. Next thought was that one of our 3 boilers in the basement blew - but Mike (my hero) checked out the basement and all was good. In my tired stupor and busyness of today I never got to check out if it was an earthquake (having only a vague recollection of the Easter one back in 1984). Thanks to my friend's blog, I have found out that yes indeed, we had an official earthquake!! The epicenter was near Landisville, but even some people in western Chester Co. felt it!
Here's the seismogram (from F&M):

And from the USGS website:
Magnitude: 3.4
Date-Time: Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 05:04:34 UTC
Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 12:04:34 AM at epicenter
Location: 40.114°N, 76.403°W
Depth: 4 km (2.5 miles)
Region: PENNSYLVANIA
Distances:
2 km (2 miles) NNE (26°) from Salunga-Landisville, PA
5 km (3 miles) S (186°) from Manheim, PA
5 km (3 miles) WNW (290°) from East Petersburg, PA
12 km (7 miles) NW (315°) from Lancaster, PA
92 km (57 miles) N (11°) from Baltimore, MD
108 km (67 miles) W (277°) from Philadelphia, PA
Pretty cool, I think!
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment