Growing up, I did not like my name. Seriously, how many "Karla"s do you know? And of those, that are spelled with a "k"? That's what I thought. And when you are a kid, you don't like being different, at least I didn't. And then there was the issue of the personalized license plates you could put on your bike, the personalized mugs, magnets, key chains, etc. Never a "Karla" to be found; only a "Carla" on rare occasions.
Until July 31, 2010.
My sisters & sis-in-law (Kate, I'm just gonna start including you in the "sisters" grouping ...saying in-law just takes too long) and my mom were in OCMD. We went into Sunsations (you know, the ubiquitous beach store that has EVERYTHING), walked past the racks of personalized items, I started my usual rant, and in the middle of it, my mom handed me this:
What joy!! So, of course, I bought it. My childhood is now complete!! (I don't think I will attach it to my bike, though).
The sisters all have more common names, so there was no question if their names would be found (and they did not feel the need to purchase theirs). Still, they humored me for a picture:
My mom has a nice, "older" name, so we knew her name wouldn't be found. So, we picked this sign instead:

Fun times.
Anyway, you would think that when it came time to name my own child, I would pick a nice, common name, perhaps even go with a Jr. (because you can't get much more common than Michael. According to this site, it was ranked #1 or #2 from 1954-2008!)
Sorry, my son. I don't think you will have much luck with finding personalized objects with "Micah" on them. Although, to be honest, I did not think that his name would be so difficult for people. I've gotten pronunciations of "Meecah" and "Micaiah" (ironically, a name that was high on my list for a long time; Micah is the contracted version of this name) and the question if it is a combination of MICHael and KarlA.
Sorry, folks. Micah is the name of a minor prophet and the title of the 33rd book in the Bible. It is indeed a related name to Michael, and the main reason that we picked it, as their meanings are essentially the same: "Who is like God?" The meaning of any name we picked was important and there were some names that I threw out b/c of the meanings. Also, I've known a handful of Micah's throughout my life, and more importantly, have not had any students with that name. :)
Just in case you didn't think "Micah" was Biblical enough, there is my cutie's middle name: Abraham. We tossed around the idea of giving Micah his daddy's middle name (they still have the same initials), but Mike wanted to honor his step-father's family. Ted's father passed away 2 years and a few weeks before Micah was born and his name was Abraham.
So, there you have it. Micah Abraham. "Who is like God?" and "Father of Many". And just all around adorable.

(And, sweetie, there's still hope: your name has been rising in popularity since 1959 and it's now ranked #118!)
2 comments:
I think you will find a lot more things with his name now b/c mass production is so cheap and easy that they make all sorts of personalized ones and the personalized racks of license plates, pencils, mugs, etc are much bigger now. In fact my name used to be hit or miss but is now most often there. You can always get him one that says Handsome or something generic. I am disappointed you didn't include a rant about the C turned into K... Oh, and were there any Larlas?
I can identify with you my friend! Christine, Krystal, Kristen, and Christa could be found in abundance...but no KRISTA.
I feel a rant comin' on. :oP
Your sweetie pie is so stinkin' cute. I wondered if you combined your two names to make his, but figured it also was a biblical reference.
Post a Comment