6.18.2009

it's a long one...

I can honestly say that today is the first time in the last 6+ months that I have nothing of major consequence to do today - well, not until 4:30, anyway! I almost don't know what to do with leisure time!

So, therefore, there was no excuse for me to not post today. As it is, I have a couple of people who have told me that they keep checking for updates, so I guess I have to make them smile today! :)

Anyway, I finished my revisions to my proposal and made it through graduation weekend. It was a beautiful weekend, lots of great food, and fun with the parents and in-laws. The ceremony itself was kinda like flying: you can't wait to do it, but once you are there (in the audience, on the plane), you wonder why in the world you wanted to and when it will be over! It didn't help matters that they forgot to call the School of Ed. graduates (there were only like 10 of us) until we yelled from the audience, the commencement speaker was a joke (Bobby Spencer, Tony-nominated for Next to Normal), and I had to use the bathroom so badly I couldn't even concentrate! But, at the same time, it was fun being part of all the "pomp and circumstance"!

Here are a few pictures from graduation:



Then it was finishing the end of the school year. The 07-08 year was very tough, but this year, I think I might have been the only one in the building not counting down the days till the end. But, at the same time, all year I had been mulling over different possibilities - move to K4, wanting to keep my students, etc. Then, in April we were told that 2 of the kindergarten assistant positions would be cut - which meant I would no longer have mine. This was the impetus for me to truly consider my options. Thinking about all of the changes that are to come in the future - including leaving my classroom after next year due to construction - and talking with some former K teachers who now teach 1st, I took the plunge and asked to change grade levels. So, 2 weeks before school was out, I began the process of clearing out my classroom. Thank goodness I had to do the major clean-out last year!!!! All of the things in my room went 1.) in boxes to go to my basement, 2.) in boxes to go to the teacher who is taking my position, 3.) in boxes to go with me to 1st grade, 4.) in boxes to go to the teacher in K4, 5.) in storage at the school, or 6.) stay in the room for the 2nd grade teacher who moved in there for next school year. I got it done, after many late nights at the school packing, including 1 late night with my mom and grandma! Thanks, you two!

Then, on the very last day of school, about 45 minutes before the students left, my principal came in to tell my assistant that she does indeed have a job for next fall, as a K5 assistant, in our building. Go figure. But, as she (and others) assured me, I had already been talking about making changes (one colleague, after realizing I have taught for 7 years, labeled it the "7 year itch"). So, while I am not excited about not working with Tammy anymore (and I won't have an assistant at all in 1st grade), I truly am looking forward to the next stage in my career. The best part? I get to keep all of my students next year! I do have to say, though, it is amazing to me how much of my "identity" was "Kindergarten teacher." Hmm...well, maybe this will affect Mike more than me! :) And, of course, leaving my actual classroom is hard. My new room has NOTHING on the old one. Nothing. Oh well, I was only going to be in there for 1 more year anyway...

What am I doing this summer? Besides weddings (as usual) and visiting families, not too much. The biggest thing is that our church wanted to start an ESL ministry. Who better to put in charge than the girl who just finished her TESOL degree? :) Thankfully, a co-creator/director was given to me early on - she actually has the classroom experience, I bring the book knowledge, and together, we are a great team! We had our 1st class Tuesday night, and while none of us were expecting absolute beginners, we pulled it off, and it appeared that everyone had fun!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its about time you blog!! get on it sister! :)