9.14.2008

what a show!

I was thinking of the concerts that I have attended over the years, and I decided that I would create a post discussing my Top 5 concerts.

*Disclaimer #1: I have only attended Christian concerts, minus the family vacation to Nashville when I was 8 (and that I barely remember)

*Disclaimer #2: The concerts are listed in no particular order

Now, the list:

1.) 1989, My 1st concert sans family: Newsboys opened for dcTalk at the former Lancaster Youth for Christ building (now home of Millersville Bible Church). The Newsboys were fresh off the plane and still had their Aussie accents! I remember that I didn't care too much for the Newsboys at that time, but the concert definitely ignited my love of all things Toby, Michael, and Kevin! :)

2.) 1992: My 1st Creation festival: Now this time, I DID like the Newsboys, and I think this is the year that dcTalk came in on a helicopter. If that wasn't until Creation '94, my bad, but the whole week was full of great shows! And a lot of other mischievous fun!

3.) 1994 or 95: Code of Ethics concert at Lancaster YFC - This band hasn't been around now for almost 10 years, but this was a very cool concert simply for the fact that there wasn't a large crowd. We got to talk extensively with the band members and we were so close to the stage that when my friend said, "Oh, they can't be done yet", the lead singer heard her and said, "We're not even close!" Too cool!

4.) 2000: Michelle Tumes opening for Fernando Ortega - This took place in a church in either Harrisburg or Hershey, I can't remember. Anyway, my (boy)friend gave me a ticket to this concert, knowing that I really wanted to go, but that he couldn't. I think this was the first concert that I went to where I sat the entire time (felt old in that moment, but not really the style to jump around!), but it was an amazing concert because you could really see/feel Ortega's heart. The music (piano, bass cello, etc.) was simply amazing. It was Ortega's last concert of a 3 month tour and he was ready to go home. He told us this and then played a medley of songs that he had written for his wife. After talking about missing his family and singing these songs, he then goes into "Give Me Jesus." Wow. Powerful!

5.)Sept. 13, 2008: Music Builds Tour with Jars of Clay, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Switchfoot, and Third Day - Yup, the concert Mike and I just went to last night! We wanted to go to this concert in Holmdel, NJ (which is near where Mike grew up), since we found out about it at Creation. However, tickets to the PNC Bank Art Center are not cheap, so we decided we weren't going. Then, last Sat. we got a call from his godfather (who works there) saying he could get us in for free!!!! So, after I took my Spanish Praxis test and Mike played 9 holes of golf, we headed to NJ. We missed most of Jars of Clay (time discrepancies), but were there for the rest. This was the second time this summer seeing Switchfoot and we have grown to like them - therefore, we came home with two of their c.d.s. (BRITTANY- If you want to be surprised, STOP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)










Sorry, I had to give my little sister a chance to not read on...See, she REALLY wanted to go with us (Third Day is her favorite band) and we could've gotten her in, too. But, alas, she finally found an apt. and this weekend was the only time she could move in. So, since I am trying to win "Sister of the Year" this year, I couldn't help but sign up for Third Day Wired, their membership group, and....(Brittany, this is your last warning!!!)














And the end result:


There is more that I could tell you, but for some reason, I think Brittany didn't stop reading and I want something to be a surprise for her! :)

Until next time...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. what about the country concerts at Longs Park? they would nullify disclaimer #1, no?

2. I should get you and Britty to fight for _my_ affections. :)

Karla said...

1. Yes, except that I never went! Always have talked about it, never attended...

2. I could say the same about the two of you! :) The way I figure, I'm way behind!

3. Once my voice is back, I wanna call you and find out all about your trip! :)

Anonymous said...

sisters, sisters, let's not get carried away here. as the baby sister, you are both in the right to fight for my affection. just don't ever forget that i love you both ohhhhh so much! :)

Anonymous said...

you never went to Longs Park??! I find this difficult to believe. How lame. I've even been...a few times.